Monday, May 11, 2015

(Excerpt and comic from Sister Moreland's latest letter home)

We were walking the streets of Inkom the other night, and this came into my mind: 
The 3 scariest people to see walking toward you: 

Seriously, you'd think when we walk by it was some gang bangers walking by.  People, like, run away from us.  They sometimes even hide.  Grown men will actually try and hide from us.  We're not dumb!  We saw you jump that fence and hide behind the shed when you saw us! (that actually happened today!)

(Email Monday, May 11)
Hellooooo

Well, it was an excellent Mother's Day, getting to talk to you guys! I loved seeing your faces and hearing about everything that's going on at home.  I cannot thank my God enough for the wonderful family He has given me.  Without my parent's support, encouragement, and example, I have no idea where I would be.  I am so proud of you two for gettin' out there and being fantastic missionaries!

We had a lot of lessons cancel this week, so much of our time was spent knocking on doors and trying to find some new people to teach.  We did have a really great lesson with the KC and his kids.  It was a lesson on the Atonement and the Sacrament.  We showed the video from lds.org called He is Risen, which is so powerful.  It really invited a spirit into the room, showing each of us just how important the sacrifice of the Savior was. At the end of the lesson, KC was talking about a friend of his that wasn't a member and that was struggling.  Apparently the missionaries had visited this man before, but he hadn't been interested.  I had a thought that I should ask KC to invite this man to our next family home evening with them.  But then, I thought "Well, KC probably won't want to invite him, especially if he has already told the missionaries he's not interested..." But as soon as that thought entered into my head, I was reminded of a missionary meeting we had had the day before where one of our APs said, "If you have a thought to invite someone to do something, or to go talk to someone, or help someone, Do It! These are promptings from the Holy Ghost. Don't let your fear hold you back from following them."  So I asked KC if he would invite the man, and KC said of course he would! I'm really glad I had the courage to follow the prompting I received from the Holy Ghost.  Who knows? It may lead this man to the knowledge of his Savior someday.

 I've been thinking a lot about faith this week.  We have a fireside about faith this weekend, and we've been talking a lot about the scripture in Mark chapter 9, where a man asks Jesus to heal his son, and Jesus in response asks if he believes. Mark 9:24 says:
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord,  
believe; help thou mine unbelief.  
The man believed, to a point, but he was still struggling with his faith in part.  Christ goes on to heal the man's son.  I think it really shows that the Lord does not expect perfect faith from us, because He knows that we all have doubts and struggle with believing sometimes.  But He can help us develop our faith.  Through Christ, our unbelief can turn into rock-solid faith. It reminds me of the other scripture in Alma 32:27. It reads:
27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an  
experiment upon my words, and exercise particle of faith, yea, even if ye can  
no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe 
 in manner that ye can give place for portion of my words.
That's really helped me a lot this week.  Having faith that the Lord has prepared people in Inkom, Idaho, to learn of the Gospel can be tough to believe sometimes, especially when it's such a small town that it seems like everyone who is not a member has been pestered enough by missionaries.  But I know the promise we have received is true.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be missionaries here in Inkom.  I just have to rely on the Lord to help with any lack of faith that I have.  I encourage you all to study faith this week! What a wonderfully simple principle of the gospel that we can never outgrow. 

Love you all so very much!

God Bless,
Sister Moreland

No comments:

Post a Comment